Sunday, January 31, 2016

~Beauty Review: Palty Mecha Flash Sparkling Blonde Bleach (BONUS: Clairol Shimmer Lights Shampoo Blonde/Silver)~

Hello everyone!! I am sosoososoooOSOOOOO sorry for being inconsistent with my blogging once again T___T LOLOL One of my 2016 goals was to improve on that and so far...yeah I have not been keeping up with any of my 2016 goals so far HA. Well Jan. was a trial run month so Feb. is going to be better right?! xD Excuses excuses. Anyways, I've had this review queued up for quite a long while now and I FINALLY had time to finish it! Hoorayyy!!

I started this post back in December before the New Year ^.^ I thought it would be a good idea to start fresh for 2016 and so I decided to tweak my hair style a bit! If you follow me on Pinterest you might have seen my hair inspo board before :3 I LOVE pastel/unicorn/mermaid/fairy hair and I thought now would be a good time to try it out~ I've also been considering bringing my bangs back but this time with a straight across fringe as opposed to my usual side swept bangs :D For now I'm keeping my hair long but I'm SUUUUPER tempted to get a cute puffy bob ^__^ What do you guys think? Should I go short for 2016? LOL

Part of my hair transformation involved getting that pretty pastel look but I wasn't sure I wanted to take on the challenge of maintaining a full head of pastel hair! If you've looked into going from naturally dark hair to very light blonde you know there is a lot of maintenance involved like deep conditioning and root touch ups *__* I don't think I have the time or funds to keep all of my hair looking that nice, especially once I get back to Uni for winter quarter! So I decided to just bleach the under-layer of my hair to get that "secret magical hair color" look! And of course the first step to going pastel is to bleach the hair :D So without further ado, the review!

For me bleaching/dyeing my hair at home isn't very difficult to do and I've done it *pretty* successfully many times before. The most difficult part is probably getting the timing and application consistent. Sometimes I apply too much in one area or I don't leave enough for the rest of my hair, or I'll leave a certain section in for too long and others not enough so I have light strands and dark strands T___T Luckily even if I mess it up this time it won't be too noticeable since it's only the under layer!

Here is the bleach I used:



Palty is an Asian hair dye brand and (personally) I've found it to be more effective on my hair compared to Western brand hair dyes like Garnier and L'OREAL.

It comes with things like gloves, a hair cap, and all the things you need to mix together to complete the bleach.

It even has instructions in multiple languages! Including English :3 YAY!

*** Pro-tip! I ~highly~ suggest you bleach your hair on a day when you haven't washed it so you have plenty of natural oils in your hair to help protect it from damage a bit! ***

Even without instructions it's a rather simple procedure: Usually you just mix 1+2 together for these Palty dyes. The bleach kit has an extra powder that comes with it so make sure you mix the powder with the watery looking stuff in the bottle first, shake very well, THEN add 2 to the whole thing and shake to mix well again! Then just add on the brush nozzle and start applying! Once you mix everything together use it right away to avoid overreaction of the chemicals in the bleach~ Always be careful when handling harmful chemicals like these!!!

Theres a hole you can punch in the box to put the main bottle into to keep it stable while you pour everything in! Nice!
Even though the tube says '2' on it, make sure you read the directions and put the powder right into the bottle before squeezing in the stuff in the tube! I did this incorrectly the first time T__T LOL

There's a bit on the cap of the tube that will help you puncture a hole in the tube~

Following the specific instructions in the manual (which are quite tedious so you ought to follow them carefully haha) mix everything together (in the proper order) attach the brush nozzle and ta-da!

It's ready!


For my half and half hair dye style I tied up the top half of my hair to get it outta the way. Before doing that I parted my hair straight down the center because after bleaching my hair I wanted to cut my bangs ^.^

When I bleach my hair I use a white shirt :3 
Here are some close ups of my hair before bleaching:

Most of my hair is this color! This is the top layer of my hair that I'm not going to focus on bleaching.


The inner part of my hair is much darker and thicker than the outer layer. 
Brush your hair throughly before you bleach so you don't run into any tangles during application :3

I applied in chunks or sections of my hair and after each chunk I wrapped it in pre torn strips of (cheap) aluminum foil to help the bleach marinate into my hair lolol.

Section hair off into chunks~ My hair looks a weird grey-ish color here probably because of the lighting and how greasy my hair is at this point lol.

To avoid one side of my head from being lighter than the other I alternated sides. I did the front left section then the front right section, then the second left section, then the second right section etc. As opposed to doing the whole left section first then the whole right section. Make sense? LOL

I started the bleach pretty far up my hair even though most of the top part wouldn't be seen because it's an underneath style. I just started near the roots so I could be somewhat consistent hahaha.


Every once in a while I would open up the foil and tug on my hair to check the integrity of my hair while bleaching. If you have thicker hair like I do you might be able to get away with leaving the bleach in for a bit longer without completely frying it! You just having to keep checking on various sections every 5-10 minutes past the instructed time to make sure it isn't melting. One sign you know it's starting to melt is if the tips of your hair break off easily and in chunks when you tug at it. So if you're going past the time on the box make sure you do this little test!

This is what I looked like after bleaching the whole underside. You can kinda see in this pic how I parted my hair straight down the middle so I had an even distribution on each underside. If your part is uneven you don't have to part straight down the middle, just pin the top half up. 
After about an hour and twenty minutes my hair looked like this:

You can see the granules of the powder that didn't dissolve well because I didn't mix the bleach properly lolol whoops.
Compared to this:

(BEFORE shot of my hair)
Here's what it looked like after washing and using some of the Clairol Shimmer Lights Blonde/Silver shampoo (which I bought from Beauty Works):

The shampoo looks super cool *__* But I don't really like the smell >.< It's really strong haha


Definitely lighter! Yay! But not exactly as light as I wanted it 3: 

Here's a pic of the shampoo.
And here's what it looked like once it was dry!

That night after blow drying

The next day


In natural light~

Bathroom lighting and after a couple days! It was pretty light! 


Tbh this was still a bit too brassy for me and OF COURSE I thought it was a greeeeaaat idea to bleach my hair twice in one week >.< So the next weekend I used my backup box (I bought two because my hair is long and thick and I was worried I would run out) and bleached by hair once again  doing this exact same process leaving it in for about an hour and ten minutes. THEN. RIGHT. AFTER. I decided it would also be a good idea to deep condition and color my hair violet at the same time :DDDD Deep conditioning idea=good. Coloring right after bleaching=??. SO that also means I neglected to take pictures of my hair right after bleaching a second time. It was still yellowy and brassy, but lighter!

After my first bleaching section I decided to cut my bangs to get a straight across fringe look. I just looked up a tutorial on YouTube and used this and this tutorial (twist cut) for guidance and just went for it LOLOLL. I really hated the look the first time I did it and I immediately regretted it a lot hahaha. But the next day I decided it was very different and I liked it! I let the bangs grow out for a week and then trimmed it so it was straighter and more even. It's still not even on the sides but once they get a bit longer I'll be able to shape them a bit more properly. I really love my bangs now *__* I use this tutorial as a reference for styling my bangs :3 So don't be afraid to try a hairstyle you've been wanting to try for a while! Ange convinced me to go for the bangs by reminding me "hair grows back!"~

I bleached and cut my hair at the very end of December and colored it the first week of January ^__^
Here's the progression of my hair from when I first colored it with a mixture of one part Punky Colour Violet to two parts Pantene (white) conditioner:

See how choppy and awful my bangs were the first time I cut them? >.< This was the very next day after I colored my hair.


Improvement to bangs! And in this pic I tucked in my hair because I was imagining how cute it would be if I got a bob *__*LOL

At this point the color was starting to fade quite a bit and I was getting a sort of pinky-orange color! This was after about 2.5-3 weeks! And I wash my hair with shampoo pretty much everyday. Terrible I know lol. 
Ana's birthday celebration day!! My hair was almost completely faded of pink at this point but it was still slightly noticeable in some areas in natural lighting.
This dumb pose I did in the bathroom at school was about a week ago I think? LOL You can see the pink is allll gone and I kept this brassy mess for about a week until I couldn't stand it anymore hahaha~

And just yesterday I changed up the color again because the pink faded into a pinky/orange color that was cool for a while but I just got tired of it pretty easily >.< This time it was one part Manic Panic Siren Song (green) to two parts Pantene conditioner:

There were some sections that were left uncolored because I ran out *__* This is in natural sunlight. 
I'm surprised at how cool it ended up being! I left this on for about an hour and a half. I reallllyyyy hope it lasts because it's awesome and I feel like a forest fairy/mermaid!! 

I'm definitely buying more of this color so I can touch up as it fades lolol~

I used the entire bottle of MP because I have so much hair lolol >___< And you really want to coat your hair evenly all over and do it nicely by section so you don't get parts that are still uncolored like I do LOL. I'm kinda bad at this, can you tell?


Overall:
Palty is good for lightening your hair to an extent, you're still definitely going to get the yellowy tone if you're going from dark brown or black like I did though 3: I might try going even lighter actually because even with the toning shampoo I'm not getting the light color I want >:( It's light enough to be able to see any sort of color buuuuuut I really want pastel *__* So I might try the Quick Blue stuff or use the Manic Panic bleach kit or something with more bleaching power >__<

Surprisingly I didn't have a *ton* of damage to my hair! I haven't encountered a bunch of split ends and my hair didn't melt or flake off, but of course it depends on the thickness and strength of your hair! If you have fine hair, bleaching twice so soon is definitely not a great idea. My hair is quite thick and strong so I think that's probably why it held up to the bleaching so well.

As for the Shimmer Lights shampoo, I'm not the biggest fan. At first I thought it was actually darkening my hair a bit? It was weird. After the second bleach and color I tried to use it again and it kind of worked but not that well. It's ok once in a while to get a bit of brassiness but not a ton. Not sure what other toners to try, anyone have any suggestions? :D

Hope you all enjoyed this longish review! :D I might be starting a Friday Favorites segment in the next coming weeks so look forward to it! Thanks for always being lovely and awesome readers <3 I truly appreciate it!!~

xoxo Abby


No comments:

Post a Comment